Time for another round of the Classics Club Spin.
If this is the first time you’ve heard of this, the idea is to create a list of any twenty books remaining from your Classics Club list, numbering them 1-20. On Monday 22nd April the Classics Club will announce a number. This is the book I will need to read by 31st May.
Since I don’t have 20 titles left unread from my original list I’m having to be creative. Numbers 16-20 are new additions.
- The Black Sheep — Honore Balzac 1842
- Basil— Wilkie Collins 1852
- Framley Parsonage — Anthony Trollope 1861
- New Grub Street— George Gissing 1891
- O pioneers — Willa Cather 1913
- Gone to Earth — Mary Webb 1917
- Age of Innocence — Edith Wharton 1920
- The Last September — Elizabeth Bowen 1929
- All Passion Spent — Vita Sackville West 1932
- Frost in May — Antonia White 1933
- Old Soldiers Never Die— Frank Richards 1933
- Turf or Stone — Margiad Evans 1934
- The Grapes of Wrath — John Steinbeck 1939
- Never No More— Maura Laverty 1942
- The Quiet American — Graham Greene 1955
- Alone in Berlin — Hans Fallada 1947
- To the Lighthouse — Virginia Woolf 1927
- No Name — Wilkie Collins 1862
- Evelina — Frances Burney 1778
- The Lifted Veil — George Eliot 1859
I’m rather hoping for Turf or Stone by the Welsh author Margiad Evans , a dark novel about an abusive marriage. I’ve never read anything by her previously but she features in the Library of Wales collection of Welsh ‘classics.’