Classics Club is taking its members for a spin. Not the kind of spin which involves dressing in jazzy lycra and sporting super-toned calf muscles. Classics Club’s kind of spin is one you’ll know if you’re a Las Vegas type of person and like a spot at the roulette table. It’s all a question of numbers.
What we’re challenged to do is pick a list of 20 books from our Classics Club reading list, and number them. On Monday, with a spin of their virtual roulette wheel, the team at Classics Club will reveal a winning number and we all have to read the matching book from our list by end of March. Since we’re supposed to include on our lists at least five books that we know we really should read, but have been putting off for a while, this is not a challenge for the faint hearted.
So here goes with my list:
- Canterbury Tales
- Pamela (ugh)
- Wives and Daughters
- Dr Thorne
- Anna Karenina
- Daisy Miller/Washington Square (oh no, not James please!)
- Things Fall Apart (please, please pick me!)
- Love in the Time of Cholera
- Age of Innocence
- Robinson Crusoe (Mr BookerTalk had better be right about this one)
- Grapes of Wrath (if I must)
- The Pursuit Of Love
- Mrs Dalloway
- Farewell to Arms
- Silent Spring (need a bit of non fiction)
- Castle of Otranto
- Mrs Palfrey at the Claremont
- The Infinite Plan
- A Parisian Affair and other stories
- Old Gariot
So now the die is cast – bring it on!