Reading the Prime Meridian
This is a project linked to the Lines of Connection World project aimed at helping me broaden my reading horizons. I aim to read a novel by an author from each of the countries through which the Prime Meridian runs. Authors and titles of books related to each country will get added as I find them.
Suggestions and recommendations will be appreciated particularly for countries whose literary heritage isn’t as extensive or where there isn’t a rich source of novels available in English. There is a sister project – Reading along the Equator.
Progress to date (August 2014): Completed 6 of the eight countries through which the Equator runs. Book titles become links when the reviews are posted
- England: The Clerkenwell Tales by Peter Ackroyd. Other options: Iris Murdoch The Sea, The Sea/PG Wodehouse/Anthony Trollope
- France: The Gourmet by Muriel Barbery. Read May 2013. Other options are : Cerambault by Romain Rolland (Winner of the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1915) /The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery/ Solea by Jean Claude Izzo (considered to be the creator of the Marseilles literary movement/.There is a useful listing of French authors on Wikipedia
- Algeria: Memory in the Flesh by Ahlam Mosteghanemi Completed August 2013. Other options: The Savage Night by Mohammed Dib. Listing of Algerian authors is at Wikipedia
- Burkina Faso: The Parachute Drop by Norbert Zongo. Read July 2014
- Ghana: Wife of the Gods by Kwei Quartery. completed September 2013. Other options The Healers by Ayi Kwei Armah
- Mali: Options are: Amadou Hampâté Bâ The Fortunes of Wangrin/Yambo Ouologuem (Bound to Violence)/ Moussa Konaté (not able to trace anything in English)
- Togo: Options are An African in Greenland by Tété-Michel Kpomassie – Reviewed at A Striped Armchair/Jeanette D Ahonsou/Pyabelo Chaold Kouly
- Spain: Enrique Vila-Matas Dublinesque (did not finish). Other options: Juan Goytisolo Exiled from Almost Everywhere