Reading along the Equator
- This is a project about broadening my reading horizons.
I plan to read a novel by an author from each of the countries through which the Equator runs. Please send your recommendations and suggestions for authors from the countries listed below. This is not a challenge because it has no deadline! There is a sister project – Reading along the Prime. Meridian.
Here are the 13 countries in the Reading along the Equator project. Links from the book titles are to completed reviews.
Progress so far: 6 completed (December 2015)
- Republic of the Congo: Broken Glass by Alain Mabanckou Read Jan 2013
- Democratic Republic of The Congo: Frederick Yamusangie Full Circle
- Kenya: Petals of Blood by Ngũgĩ wa Thiong’o. Read July 2013
- Somalia: The Fractured Rib by Nuruddin Farah. read April 2014
- Colombia: The Armies by Evelio Rosero Diago Read July 2013
- Brazil: Dom Casmurro by Joachim Maria Machado de Assis Read April 2013
Countries not yet visited
- Gabon: very few options. Best seems to be Mema by Daniel Mengara or Batouala: A True Black Novel by Rene Maran. Winner of Prix Goncourt
- Sao Tome: this may prove impossible
- Uganda: Selected Abyssinian Chronicles by Moses Isegawa
- Kirabati: may prove impossible
- Maldives: limited options. maybe Dhon Hiyala and Ali Fulhu by Abdullah Sadiq
- Ecuador: maybe The Villagers by Jorge Icaza