Just when I was thinking I needed to stir my stumps and actually read some of the books on my my Classics Club list, the team behind the Classics Club challenge have announced it’s time for another spin.
For those unfamiliar with the “spin” the idea is to make a list of 20 books from On Sunday, December 11th, a random number will be selected by the club leaders. The challenge will be to read whatever book matches that number on my spin list. The “deadline” is 29 January 2023.
I’ve not long created my second list for this challenge so have plenty of unread titles to use for my spin list. Rather than just pick out titles at random I’ve selected a few books from each category. I’m listing only those books I already own.
Here’s my spin list:
19th Century Classics
- Ruth by Elizabeth Gaskell (1853)
- No Name by Wilkie Collins (1862)
- Armadale by Wilkie Collins (1864)
- Can You Forgive Her by Anthony Trollope (1865)
- New Grub Street by George Gissing (1891)
20th Century Classics
- Old Wives Tale by Arnold Bennet (1908)
- Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton: (1911)
- O Pioneers by Willa Cather (1913)
- Tender Is The Night by Scott Fitzgerald (1934)
- Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (1938)
- The Nose by Nikolay Gogol(1836) — Ukrania/Russia
- Cousin Bette by Honoré De Balzac(1846) — France
- The Conquest of Plassans by Emile Zola (1874) — France
- Nada by Carmen Laforet (1944) — Spain
- Alone in Berlin by Hans Fallada (1947) — Germany
- Stranger Within The Gates by Bertha Thomas (1912) — Wales
- Thirty Nine Steps by John Buchan (1915) — Scotland
- The Citadel by A J Cronin (1937) — Scotland
- A Toy Epic by Emyr Humphreys (1958) — Wales
- The Bell by Iris Murdoch (1958) — Ireland
I’m hoping I get something that is a cracking good story — Rebecca maybe???