The Classics Club Spin is back. This will be the 31st outing though the first since I embarked on my second Classics Club list.
For those unfamiliar with the “spin” the idea is to make a list of 20 books from my Classics Club list. On Sunday, September 18th, a random number will be selected by the club leaders. The challenge will be to read whatever book matches that number on my spin list. The “deadline” is 30 October 2022.
Since my list is very new, I have almost 100 titles from which to select just twenty. I could simply start at the top and count down to 20 but since I’ve created my list in categories I thought I’d select a few books from each category. I’m listing only those books I already own.
Here’s my spin list:
19th Century Classics
- Ruth by Elizabeth Gaskell (1853)
- The Lifted Veil by George Eliot (1859)
- No Name by Wilkie Collins (1862)
- Armadale by Wilkie Collins (1864)
- Can You Forgive Her by Anthony Trollope (1865)
20th Century Classics
- Ambassadors by Henry James (1903)
- Old Wives Tale by Arnold Bennet (1908)
- Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton: (1911)
- O Pioneers by Willa Cather (1913)
- The Well of Loneliness by Radcylffe Hall (1928)
- The Nose by Nikolay Gogol(1836) — Ukrania/Russia
- Cousin Bette by Honoré De Balzac(1846) — France
- The Conquest of Plassans by Emile Zola (1874) — France
- Nada by Carmen Laforet (1944) — Spain
- Alone in Berlin by Hans Fallada (1947) — Germany
- Stranger Within The Gates by Bertha Thomas (1912) — Wales
- Thirty Nine Steps by John Buchan (1915) — Scotland
- The Citadel by A J Cronin (1937) — Scotland
- A Toy Epic by Emyr Humphreys (1958) — Wales
- The Bell by Iris Murdoch (1958) — Ireland
I’m hoping whichever one gets selected, that it will be one I’ll enjoy. So far I’ve abandoned two books from my list and finished only one. I’m hoping I get one of the 19th century classics.